Does this salad taste like a butterfly? I wouldn’t know. But I sure as hell hope not.
Does this salad look like a butterfly? No, not really.
Does this salad remind you of a butterfly? Maybe. It depends on the person reading this. I don’t know what associations your mind makes.
So then why call this salad Mariposa?
Take a moment. Breathe in deeply. Breathe out slowly. Centre yourself. Find your calm. Now say it. “Mariposa.” Repeat it. Over and over and over again. Slowly. Digest it.
Look at the salad. Think of the word. Say the word while looking at the salad. “Mariposa.”
Now think of a scenario where you’re eating this salad and a friend comes along and asks, “What are you eating?” And you say, “Mariposa.” Now doesn’t that just sound right?
You know it does.
Brown rice and lentil salad with a hummus dressing
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup dried brown lentils
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 large cucumber
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 1 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rocket
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1heaped tsp dijon mustard
- juice of 1 lemon (roughly 80g)
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 1 tsp agave nectar (can use any other flavourless sweetener)
- 1/3 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 4 cups of water in a medium sized pot to the boil. Add the lentils and brown rice and reduce to a simmer. Let cook for 30-40 minutes or until both the lentils and the rice are cooked and soft.
- While the rice is cooking make the dressing by adding all the ingredients for the dressing to a food processor or a blender and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a bit more salt than you would normally add because the dressing is going to season all the components of the salad.
- When the rice and lentils are cooked, drain and rinse under running water using a sieve. (Don’t use a colander because the holes are too big). Add the rinsed lentils and rice to a large bowl.
- Prepare the rest of the salad by removing the seeds from the tomatoes and cucumber as pictured below and cut them into equally sized cubes. (To deseed cucumbers use a teaspoon and to remove seeds from a tomato just carefully cut them out with a knife) Finely chop the red onion. Add all the chopped vegetables to the lentils and rice along with the finely chopped herbs. Stir well then pour on the dressing.
- Mix well and incorporate the dressing to the salad making sure every piece of food is coated in dressing. Adjust the seasoning and add more lemon juice or herbs if needed. Garnish with thickly sliced cherry tomatoes and fresh rocket.
Serves about 4 people